Originally Posted by crc1514
I was getting ready to start an identical thread. I found a deal on a couple cases of 168 gr 308 match ammo a while back and want a new 308 to punch paper with. I would prefer an 8+ pound rifle without a muzzle break, so the weight of the Bergaras doesn’t bother me. I love the look of several Bergara models but have noticed mixed reviews on accuracy and an abnormal amount of “like new” used rifles for sale that don’t seem to have great resale value. Tikka reviews are near unanimous positive so I’m leaning towards a CTR, but I’m tempted to take my chances on a used Bergara just because I think they look sexy.

No need to start a new thread. There are many threads here already with similar questions. First off, I have to say that the Bergara's are nice rifles. I have been tempted by them a few times, but every time I handle one I think the same thing. They are heavy and not well balanced. Now, you say you don't mind the extra heft and you want a stainless 308w. Look at a Tikka varmint. While there is absolutely no need to pack the extra weight around in the deer/elk woods, they do offer an edge in accuracy. For a big game hunting rifle, it's not enough of a difference to make it worth while for myself. Here are some pics to keep it interesting/real.

Tikka T3 stainless Varmint @ 7 7/8 pounds (bare) 5 shot group with factory ammo:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Stainless T3 lite 308 with 22.4" barrel. Weighs 6.4 pounds bare. 5 shot group with handloads. Same bullet as what was fired in varmint model above:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not even enough difference to write home about.. ^^^

Now, I realize you say weight doesn't bother you and you prefer an "8+ pound rifle". Personally I'd take a lite or superlite before considering using a "varmint" model for big game hunting. To each their own though. That is what makes the world go round... I've been reaching for my stainless lites more and more over the last few years. They are damn good rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA