I faced the same thing last year and ended up going with a Hog saddle PIGlite CF with their GNN-XB-44DL ball head. I then mounted Swiss ARCA plates from Salmon River Solutions on a couple of my longer range rifle stocks. The tripod with ball head is slightly over 5lbs and I've added ARCA plates to my spotting scope and binos.

https://www.salmonriversolutions.com/product/srs-arca-mini/

I also bought a small mini-waxed bag from Thunderbird Long Range with Git-Lite fill. I then practiced my azz off at my home range using a combination of dryfire, .22LR and .223 along with the actual rifles to get used to the set up. Luckily my backyard range goes out to 760yds, so I built a mini-course of fire by arranging steel swingers up my back hill. The bag on the ball head is about as versatile as it comes, easy to come off the tripod or move from TGT to TGT. It weighs about 10 ounces, so I just strap it to the top of my pack. It also works for fence posts rocks, logs, etc.

I've also got the actual Hog Saddle (they give a good .mil discount) that mounts to the ball head and the rifle clamps in. Honestly, it's too heavy and takes too long to set up for any amount of hiking. The mini-waxed bag on the ball head is faster and reasonably stable out to 500+. Clamping in with the mounted ARCA plates is the most stable, especially sitting with a backpack in your lap, it's almost like shooting from a bench.

Mulie over-watch in MT a week ago, clamped in:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Practice session using the bag on the ball head:

I've also got a Bog Pod switch-a-roo, but there's no comparison when it comes to stability.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 11/29/22.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”