Originally Posted by 30338
Okay, you guys are going to need to try this one out. I started with 21 pheasant legs. No 3 legged or 1 legged birds were harmed, I simply sorted through the pile looking for legs and thighs that were not shot. Goal was to not have to look for pellets or bone pieces after canning and deboning/tendoning.

Here is what I found. In a quart jar, if you cut a ring around the thigh/leg joint so they fold tight, a guy can get 6 legs in there. In a pint, you can get 3. I added 1 teaspoon of chicken boullion and 2 teaspoons of canning salt per quart. Half that for pints. A guy could do less salt if desired I am sure. Processed at 15 psi due to altitude for 75 minutes in canner.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In the jar they do not look very appetizing. Pop that seal and grab one though and the tendons and bones just fall out. I got enough out of this pint to make a nice sized batch of bbq for lunch today. Texture was perfect and wife and I loved it. While we were chowing down we discussed using for pheasant enchiladas, pheasants with cheese and crackers, and for added flavor in venison stew. I did not have a need for the broth in this batch but it would make a great addition to a stew.

I've got to rate this very high on list of favorite canning projects. Give it shot.

Fantastic!!