I ordered an 870 Wingmaster, 28” barrel, and modified choke when I was about twenty (I was ahead of the times 😉, and that’s when you could order a firearm and get it in a week or so). With it I hesitate to say how many birds I’ve taken, but it was many. Even got it muddied up crawling up on some mallards one time, field stripped it while on my back, wiped it out, stuck it together and took two green heads. I learned to carry a little punch to remove the pins. I so regret trading that shotgun.

Now…a week out from heading to SD, I need steroid injections in my left hip and right knee, to hopefully give me a couple of weeks. The writing is on the wall though that I’m in line for some more after-market parts I’m afraid. Forty years of running thirty miles a week might have been good for my stress and heart but not so much for my joints. But I’d do it all over the same way again.

One of our friends who went last year (we’re all about the same age) and who played eleven years in the NFL, is hesitating due to difficulty with his knees. So it goes — you can be in top shape otherwise but there’s not much to do about decrepit joints, other that become a modular human being.

Looking forward to the five-day trip. Weather looks good; the company will be good, and I’m even anticipating that boiling hot tub where we stay. And then there are those birds…