I've been wanting to cast some softnoses for forever and never taken the time to do it. I'm likely upgrading casting pots after Christmas (to an RCBS) and thought I could run my WW alloy in it, and some lead sheet (possibly adding 1% tin) in my old Lee. In lighter caliber and loads, the bases would be the WW alloy, heat treated for the heavier stuff for the sake of accuracy and penetration.

I've re-read Ross Seyfreid's articles on the subject, and plan on using the 2-pot, 2-dipper method.

Planning on trying it in my .45-70, muzzleloader, .45 Colt, .38 Special, and even my .45 1911's and Sig P365 (if the soft noses will survive the trip up the feed ramp).

My question is; what velocity will the soft alloy expand down to (on hide and flesh)? I can run 350's in the .45-70 way faster than I can stand to shoot them, so I'm not worried there. My 270SAA mold has optional hollow point pins, so no expansion issues there. But, say, a .38 Special with a Lee 158 RF at 850fps, will I see any expansion at 25-50 yards? 230's out of a .45ACP at 900fps?

I suppose I'm asking (and I get that there are many variables), what is the optimum velocity to run cast soft noses (with no hollow point) out of a pistol before you are better off with straight WW or heat treated WW alloy?

Thanks!!!