Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by cra1948
Different times…my father was 17 and so pissed that my grandmother made him finish high school before enlisting. He was youngest of three. The oldest went Army and the other two Navy.
My godfather was in the USAAF. When, as a kid, I asked him, “What did you do in the war Uncle Richard?” he’d just say, “Oh, I was just a test pilot.” After he and my aunt were both gone and I was left with all their stuff to go through and sort out I learned he’d been an a number of major air battles and was highly decorated. He was a squadron maintenance officer so I assume he probably would test flight stuff they worked on, thus “..just a test pilot.” A far cry from all today’s REMFs turned Rambos in their reminiscences.

They were humble about their accomplishments.
That is a big part of what made them the Greatest Generation.
You've got that right. My dad had twin brothers that were a year older than him who wound up in Okinawa & one didn't make it back home alive. The brother that survived would never talk about what went on there. You could tell that it always bothered him about losing his twin brother as he was very easy going but would sometimes just snap out over nothing. I remember him working on our John Deere 620 tractor when he got pissed for no reason, and threw a wrench which we never found.