Al, thanks for the tips, and so far, this one is even better....the ocular lens package is screwed into the ocular bell, and the BELL is travel limited by a SPANNER NUT. And no, I don't have the right size. The reticle itself is pretty well blobbed in there, I have a bunch of suspicions about why it's not plumb to the turrets. However, it seems to be a glass etched assembly (and another spanner nut, this one blobbed in messily). So I need to make a spanner wrench to get the first ring off to get the ocular bell out of the way, then I can get in deep enough to work on the good stuff. DARN!
I don't think the reticle pack is installed wrong, I'm thinking it was not assembled square to the jig. The glass goes in a ring with three screws and is held in the ring by another spanner nut. Sure enough, it is "off" in the tighten direction, cocked to the righty tighty.
The bell spanner is actually kind of smart, as some people spin the bell right off when they are trying to get a focused reticle. The glass package was just firmly hand tightened (with nice grease) into the back of the bell, a lot harder to "accidentally" spin off than bells ordinarily are. So I'll give Tasco a point for good thinking about the "average" user.
But I'll have to take the scope off the rifle to really be able to firmly hold everything while I try to turn those spanner nuts. Excitement awaits.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.