Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The .257 Rob AI is basically a .25 Creedmoor.

250AI

I wish I had gone with the 250AI over the 257Rob as it fits well in a short action.

In all practical sense, the 6.5CM is better than both.
I like the Roberts, Swede and 7x57 in a LA. A 3" action would probably be about perfect for those. The 3.4" LA is better, IMO, than the 2.8" SA.

DF

I agree that the 55mm case length of the 6.5x55 and 284 are a little too long for an optimal COAL fit in a 2.8" short action. Same/same for the 57mm case length of the 257 Roberts and 7x57.

I think that Ruger's decision to build their 257 Roberts rifles on a long action was better than Remington's choice of a short action in all of their 700s and 722s except for the 700 Classic, as cataloged, and the stainless 700 Classic, a non-cataloged limited run for a wholesaler. That said, my favorite cataloged 257 Roberts rifles are the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, a short action, and the Winchester 70 FWT, a long action.

What can I say, I'm just an old guy with eclectic tastes. Heck, my favorite long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the 256 Newton, so I'm clearly a road less traveled sort of guy.