Which, when it comes to shotguns is darned near everyone.

I find myself yearning for an "adequate" 20 ga OU. Our pheasant population is nonexistant, but we still have a few valley quail, and I would like to try my hand at sporting clays. Thinking 26 inch barrrels, obviously with screw in chokes.

I used to hunt pheasant nearly every day during season, and could bring home five or six per box of shells.

My problem is that factory shotguns put my right eye almost an inch above the vent rib, and to the left. I have to consciously shove my face into the stock and aim the gun like a rifle.

I started with a H & R baystate SS 20 ga as a kid in the '60s, then a 870 12 ga mag, then a Wea 12 ga Patrician autoloader, and finally most recently a Mossberg 500 12 ga mag, which I just sold.

My cousin has a Mossberg 500 20 ga which aims well for me, and I can kill the hell out of pigeons with it.

In the past I have handled a Weatherby Athena 20 ga ou, a Beretta silver pigeon, and a Browning Citori in the stores. They each seemed to point well.

So, what do I need to know?

I need to keep it under $ a couple grand.

Do I buy a gun, and try to find someone to alter the stock?

Will I make the gun unsellable with stock alterations?

Does one find an aftermarket stock to butcher, and save the original for resale?

Or will I have any luck actually finding a stock which points true for me?

What do I need to know about actions, triggers, selectors, resets?

Is Browning Citori, or Berretta all I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.