Asking prices on gunbroker.com are ridiculous. Locally, a Higgins in good shape will be priced at $6-700, and there's one just down the road from me with a bent trigger guard for $450.

I've owned several over the years. Most people upgrade the trigger, stock, and safety. Stocks aren't bad, but they're definitely set up for iron sights. The cost of bedding one and adding a recoil pad is pretty close to the cost of a Bell & Carlson designed for use with a scope.

Triggers are an odd two-piece arrangement. Half of it is in the action and the other half is in the bottom metal, so the trigger pull varies according to how tight you crank in the action screws. Most folks replace that with a Timney. Safeties are so-so, definitely better than a military Mauser safety but not as good as a Model 70-style safety or the one that comes with the Timney.

If you just want an action, then I'd look beyond the Higgins. The chrome-lined barrels have attracted enough attention over the last 10-15 years that prices are higher than on other rifles with the same actions. Starting with one of those other rifles might save you a couple of hundred bucks on the cost of the action plus the cost of upgrades.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.