Originally Posted by Culpeper
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Jim gets credit for the development work of the 260 that led to its adoption as a commercial cartridge by Remington. But people forget that he also wrote about and developed a 6.5 based on an improved 250 Savage case.
That cartridge to which he also gave a cat name ,was just about identical to the 6.5 Creedmoor of today.

Creedmoor and PRC are knockoffs. Jim Carmichel’s 6.5 Leopard

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/6-5-cartridges-that-never-made-it/?amp

I mentioned a LONG time ago in the early life of this old thread, that Ken Waters was actually the first guy to develop a wildcat that was essentially the .260 Remington. He did it in the late 1950s by necking up .243 cases, and if I recall correctly called it the .263 Express. But Carmichel certainly gets the credit for getting it turned into a commercial round.

Might also mention that before this thread was re-resuuracted I bought one of Jim's rifles. This was back in July, when he wanted to sell one of the rare Husqvarna FFV .308 target rifles he got back in 1960s. Butch Lambert mentioned this on the Campfire, and eventually helped me get into touch with Jim, during which I talked to him on the phone for a while. We were on several "gun writer" invitational trips back in the 1990s and early 2000s, and had some good (and interesting) times but I hadn't seen him since he retired from OL, so the phone call was fun! (I also now have a copy of Jim's Federal Firearms License on my computer, in case he sells something else that calls to me....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck