Originally Posted by Dude270
I'm looking for something to put on my son's tikka 17 hmr.

I'd like to get something in the 4-12 ish power range with parallax adjustment. Not to heavy or clunky, no need to dial it, it will be a set and forget.

Any recommendations appreciated

Thanks

I had a Burris Fullfield ll on my Tikka T1x and to me it was heavy and clunky(18 oz). With the rather large AO scope placement is critical to keep the AO from touching the barrel, it required finding a slightly higher than usual set of "medium" rings to have clearance and proper eye placement. I was not using a rail, I prefer mounting directly to the dovetail. I ended up putting a Leupold VX2 4-12 on it without the AO.

AO - I do not see the need for AO on the 17HMR unless you are planning to use it for 50 yard target shooting. The 17HMR has essentially the same point of impact at 50 and 100 yards and since most scopes are parallax free at 125 yards for a 17HMR hunting rifle there is no down side to not having AO in my experience.

I only used my 17HMR for gopher shooting and the sweet spot for its energy and trajectory is between 75 and 150 yards. Closer than that you may well be using a 22 LR further than that the energy and wind drift becomes problematic. Which brings me back to saying that the AO isn't necessary its just one more thing to mess with while hunting gophers and will cost lost shots while fiddling around with setting the AO.

drover

Last edited by drover; 12/27/22.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.