Originally Posted by 43Shooter
In 1992 or 93 I ordered a 1895 7x57 Chilean Mauser from Century Arms in New Hampshire for as I recall around $85. No registration required. The bluing was worn but there was no rust, the action was tight with an ok crest and the bore had no pits with sharp rifling. The stock had 97 years worth of dings but no cracks or chips except for a crack in the handguard.

It was delivered to where I worked and there was plenty of WTF is that and why would you want something like that, etc. Wasn't exactly embarrassing but got to admit it wouldn't have looked too good to most people.

I shot a box of factory RN through it and put it in a corner of the garage as it was too tall with the 29" barrel to fit in the safe with out removing a shelf.

A few years ago it finally made it to the safe after I threw away the handguards and cut the stock down to sporter size but left it as I got it, not refinished, dings and all. Had the barrel cut and crowned at 22", turned the bolt handle, put a ramp front sight and an old Redfield #57 reciver sight on it and installed a Timney trigger. It shoots 139 Hornadys well enough out to as far as I can see now, I spent considerably more on it than I paid for it but it's a lot of fun to take to the range. Nobody rips on it anymore.

Dang, from your rework descriptions, think I bought more than a few of your reworks, perhaps two or three owners removed as typical 'decent Bubbas' making the rounds! smile smile smile
Best! & H.N.Y!
John