Originally Posted by las
That is good advice from Shrapnel. I'd also include a UAF Museum visit in Fairbanks.

Getting wildlife pics without getting far from the vehicle is not a good prospect, generally. Scenery, yes. Hatcher pass is north of Anchorage is a nice drive, i hear. My wife has been there, I never have.

If going south out of Anchorage to Seward, Homer, etc., do some glassing for sheep and goats at the Seward Y area. You won't get close-ups of animals, but I almost always can see some there on the mountain sides. Sometimes black bear. A several mile hike up to Carter lake is nice, also.

if the salmon are still in the streams of Portage Valley, there is potential for some bear pics there, also- probably blacks only. Early and late.

There is also a sheep viewing area at Sunrise a few miles down the Sterling Hwy from the Y. At Russian River, there is a falls a couple miles up from the campground- good trail. A fairly good prospect, with patience and time spent, to find a bear fishing there early and late if the salmon are there, but I've seen small black bears there almost any time of day when the salmon are in.

Go to Hope, drive up Palmer Creek Road, spend some time up there. Maybe get moose, and/or bear (black, mostly) pics. Good fall colors.

For fantabulous fall colors, Interior is the best! If you fly into/go to Fairbanks, head up the Steese Hwy, maybe pick a ridge between the two summits (about 90-100 mile drive from Fbks), follow any 4 wheeler trail 1-2 miles up the face of a spur ridge to above timber-line, maybe get some caribou pictures. Maybe....

Possibly some bear pics too, working any caribou gut piles and the berry patches. I haven't done it that time of year- only in June and August, so that's just a throw-out thought.

Again, without some hiking or a fly-in, or park visitation, wildlife viewing/photography is likely to be pretty spotty, so keep your expectations realistic. Alaska is huge, with fewer animals per square mile than most envision, and they don't much like to be close to people areas.

+1. I didn't spend much time In squarebanks but otherwise good info. Especially in hope. A very nice spot folks don't think about. Alot of good moose and black bear up palmer creek.