Originally Posted by barm
I had one and it was a pain to feed anything. I sent it back to Savage and it wasn't any better when I got it back. I sent it down the road and I would not recommend one.

I'd had great luck with a Savage Model 40, which is a single-shot bolt action 22 Hornet. That thing was super accurate, easy to feed, and reliable. So then I decided to try a Model 25 in 17 Hornet because I'd heard great things about that caliber. That rifle was garbage and the complete opposite of the model 40 - it was horribly inaccurate, wouldn't feed right from a magazine (rounds got jammed feeding in at too sharp an angle), and you couldn't really hand feed single-shots to avoid the bad magazine loading because it was too far in to reach. So I thought I must have gotten a lemon and bought another one - same issues! Sold those off at huge loss, got a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet and then ended up getting a bunch more CZ 527s because I liked them so well. Still do have the Savage model 40 but don't shoot it much as I prefer the 17H over 22H now.