I’ve heard shooters complain and swear off the steel based shells claiming damage to chambers and ejectors. Never experienced or witnessed either. When I was active I shot steel based Rem Gun Clubs, Estates, Federal TG etc. by the thousands. New and reloaded. Some steel bases are brass washed. My guess is that’s just for appearance.

The Federal GM Premium’s, Win AA’s, Rem STS’s, and Rem Nitro’s are (or were) brass based. Think the Fed papers were too but I never messed with them much. A few shooters loved them and I would give any I ran across to them for reloading. My recollection is that after a few reloads pin holes would form in the paper just above the base. Guys who shot them would toss after seeing this. Seem to recall too that a special crimp was needed. May just have been a 6 fold vs 8 fold or there was a special guide for paper hulls. Experience taught me to avoid two piece hulls for the most part but if necessary they can be used.

I do recall guys pushing the limits with the Top Guns. Would load them 8 times and more. Seen more than one paper wad come out of a barrel uncoiled and on fire. My experience was 4-5 reloads from Top Guns before the crimp folds began splitting. Rem STS/Nitro 6-8 before they did the same. Rem Gun Clubs often lasted 10+ reloads. Fed GM Premium’s usually 4-5. The difference in number of reloads might come from my uses. I shot Gun Clubs for 16’s and first shot doubles. Light loads of 7/8 or 1 ounce of shot, ~1100fps. Fed GM Premium and STS/Nitro reloads were handicap and second shot doubles, much stouter loads with 1 1/8 ounce of shot.

Ran two MEC 9000’s at the time, one for Gun Clubs and one for the Fed GM Premium or Rem STS/Nitro’s. Had another MEC 9000 and a Grabber set up for various hunting loads and or for “games” such as Annie’s, Protectors, Blue Birds, etc….. Saved a lot of time not having to adjust presses for different hulls.

I realize now that in both of my replies I have gotten some of the hull names confused. In the first reply “Remington Top Guns” should have been “Remington Gun Clubs”. Also, “Remington Premium” should have been “Remington STS” In this reply I am referring to “Federal Gold Medal” hulls were I write “Federal GM Premium” Apologies for the errors. Hope it’s not cause for confusion. Been years since I focused on such things.

Last edited by ring3; 01/11/23. Reason: Edited hull names