It took me about 45 years of hunting in PA with dozens of different rifles - bolts primarily but pumps and levers also to figure out that for still hunting and/or tracking whitetails (or any woodland creatures) I personally think the 760/7600 can’t be beat for shots on running animals. Many other rifles I have handle better, are lighter, etc….but for quick on target shots I can’t shoot any faster with the other types. This year I had a buck spot me while still hunting and take off - the first shot hit him (a little further back than I wanted) and I had to shoot very quickly to get him down before he disappeared - the next shot was rushed (missed) and the third shot hit him in the spine. Those three shots were likely about 5 seconds apart considering the relatively short distance he covered - any longer and I would have had a tracking job on hand. I really don’t think I could have done that with a bolt or lever. Ideally if given time for a shot it really doesn’t matter but I was glad I had a 760.

I have them in .222, 6mm, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .30-06 .35 Remington (same year as the OP) and .358 Winchester. This year’s buck was with the .257 Roberts but I mostly hunt with the .35s. I have never had a problem with one but like most rifles I’m sure they have issues and have seen very dirty ones/well used have some functioning problems.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 01/11/23.