Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
And, that in SxS’s and O/U’s, the patterns overlie each other at 25-30 yds. Same POI. I’ve not ever had it not be so, but I imagine there are guns where it happens.

George,

I have seen patterns from doubles diverge WIDELY in doubles, both O/U and SxS--but due to my profession have probably patterned a lot more shotguns that most. One O/U 28-gauge, from a highly regarded company, placed the lower barrel's pattern right where the gun pointed for me--and I am pretty average in "dimensions" myself. The upper barrel placed the pattern so much higher that the bottom of the patter barely touched where the shotgun pointed, and if I recall that was at 30 yards.

I was working on Shotguns for Wingshooting at the time, and consequently shooting a LOT of shotguns with different ammo at a local Sporting Clays range. If I recall correctly, that was the FIRST shotgun I took to the range without patterning it beforehand, and halfway through a 25-bird round it had me talking to myself. I patterned it afterward and found out why. (The really odd thing is that when I reported it to the shotgun's maker, they didn't seem to care. I suspect the reason was "crooked" choke-tube threads in the top barrel, but by that point I didn't care enough to measure things.)

That was 20+ years ago, and ever since I've at least shot every new-to-me shotgun at a dirt bank to see where the pattern centered before taking it hunting....

Hope you are doing well!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck