Old eyes have rendered open sights useless to me. You may still be able to use a receiver (peep) sight effectively for a few more years. That is the principle behind the Merit Eye Attachment used by target shooters when scopes were not allowed. I would recommend mounting a scope because you will probably end up needing it. Get a scope that is rated by the manufacturer for air rifles as the recoil impulse of the piston slamming at the end of the stroke is totally different than the recoil impulse of a conventional firearm. I have used the Hawke Airmax that I would recommend. I also have a Bushnell Sportview rated for air rifles but it is no longer made. Whatever scope you get I highly recommend an adjustable objective because of parallax adjustment necessary for shorter air gun ranges. Regarding rings and mounts get a mount with holes drilled in it that the studs in the rings lock into. This eliminates the rings slipping forward on the mount which is another unique air gun issue. The last consideration is barrel droop. There are mounts that have elevation built in so that the front of the mount is raised so that if the barrel is lower than the receiver you do not run out of elevation adjustment in your scope.