Count me among those who’ve always preferred the Marlin 336 over the Winchester 94. I’ve got an original, JM-stamped 336 of my own in .35 Remington, but the .30-30 versions were far and away more popular in the Kentucky deer camps I frequented as a kid. Like most Marlin fans, I’ve been encouraged by the new Ruger-made 1895s in .45-70, but what I really wanted to see was an update of the classic deer rifle. Yesterday, I did. I got to shoot a half dozen rounds through the brand-new Marlin 336 Classic, built under Ruger ownership, and I was impressed. The rifle was easy to hit with. The test model wore open sights, but it’s of course drilled and tapped for a scope base. Aesthetically, it looks just like a later-model original Marlin (it does have a cross-bolt safety). It would be just as handy in the timber, too, with a 20.25-inch barrel and 6+1 capacity. The rifle I shot was chambered in .30-30, which is probably the better way to go, but I’m told the new 336 Classic will be available in .35 Remington, too. That’s good timing, since a couple major ammo makers (Federal and Remington) are again loading that classic round. New 336 Classic rifles will supposedly be available in early 2023. —Will Brantley

I like guns | optics | fishing