Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
The 22lr suggestion is good but if you plan on running a bolt action do yourself a favor and find an CZ or Tikka 22lr bolt action. I've got a CZ 452 as a trainer and it feels like a real rifle. Then I go to the 270win after this. It just helps.

Another good thing to do is shouldering and bolt manipulation and dry fire practice. This costs nothing and it build tremendous muscle memory and form. I do this a decent amount and then I go and practice offhand field shooting.

The reason I suggested starting with an auto was that it eliminates the bolt. One thing at a time. First thing is learning how to shoulder the rifle, acquire sight picture, trigger feel, etc.

Bolt operation, safety manipulation, reloading etc comes next.

Nothing wrong with dry firing practice or mounting drills, other than they bore me to tears, so I go plink varmints, instead, with starlings getting the brunt of the practice both with 22’s and with the 12 ga.

It’ll take some time, and a lot of practice, and in my case many starlings were given a second chance at life because I didn’t take the safety off or momentarily shouldered to the wrong side. Just keeping at it is the way, it gets better every time you practice.

Sic Semper Tyrannis