Originally Posted by Dre
When the target is as big as a sheet of plywood, a 6x will work just fine. Just sayin..

^this at 1000 sounds about right.

Yes, and as big as a big truck tire at 500..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't think the OP has really given any details on what type of "targets" he intends to shoot at. I asked earlier. Maybe he is still thinking that one out? It's as simple as this: Do you want to shoot the yote in the head, or make a pop shot with minimum power scopes and hope and pray you hit the body? What kind of precision are you after? None of this "reticle subtension" bull shidt.. We all know that if you pair the right sized target with a certain magnification and reticle, you can hit said target, but how precise do you want to be? You want to be able to hit an egg at 3 or 400 yards? You aren't going to be doing that with a 6x scope. Some of the guys I shoot with will hit a golf ball at 500 yards. Again, you aren't going to be doing that with a low power scope. Lets hear from the OP what his intended target is and that will give us a better idea of what the optimum choice may be. Again, this is the "long range" forum. Maybe the question should have been asked in the optics forum or regular hunting forum??? I can only relay what I use on my Tikka CTR's for shooting long range targets..

The CTR's are some of my favorite rifles. Very precise shooting, why limit them with a low powered scope?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA