Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’m leaning toward keep it simple with a 6x MQ.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I also have a spare Athlon 2-12 coming.

I've shot to 1000 with a SWFA 6 MQ. I personally prefer the 6 over the 10 because of the superior clarity. It's Definately a workable option

Trystan

When the target is as big as a sheet of plywood, a 6x will work just fine. Just sayin..
Depending on the reticle and its subtensions, MOA targets are doable out to beyond 1000 with a 6x. Is it my preference for that kind of shooting? No. But it can be done.
I'll reiterate that my point was what is possible, but just because something is possible doesn't mean that it is preferable.

The steel plate we use at 1000 measures 12" square and painted with white paint. The 6MQ picked up the target and would put 3 shots from a plain jane tikka on that target. 3 shots is statistically what a factory tikka T3 will drive reasonably well.

At 600 yards where the OP is talking about shooting there is an advantage to the 6 MQ in that it has sufficient magnification for that distance and will record less mirage. In fact I have demonstraighted to the long range group I shoot with how they can tighten up there group at 500 yards many times by simply turning there scope down in magnifaction. I realize you understand all of this however for the general shooting community this gets lost in the noise and sometimes even among more experiences shooters it can get lost to a degree and they will open groups up by turning the magnification UP!

Magnification has a feel good effect on the eyes that can be somewhat deceiving to a degree IME

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/20/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field