Originally Posted by OGB
...what does it take to get a run of "lefties"?

In my opinion, the most important thing you need is consensus: You have to have a significant number of people to agree they want the same gun. If this is true, then you can quickly see some of the obstacles you might run into. Some people want a classic wooden stock while others want synthetic. Stainless vs blued? Common readily available ammo or something unique & special? If you read enough posts on these forums, then getting a bunch of firearm enthusiasts to all agree on a common "best choice" can be a bit of a challenge.

One example that pops into my mind is a while back the Dallas Arms Collectors Association got Lipsey's to make a run of (I believe 100) Ruger #1 RSI rifles chambered in .275 Rigby. In this instance, they opted for a classic uncommon caliber with a Mannlicher stock. This might not have wide appeal but go out and try to find one of these rifles for sale. They're hard to find.

You mentioned Lipsey & Ruger #1's as a possibility. For me, this would have limited appeal not because it isn't a great idea and a viable option but because I have all the Ruger #1's & Winchester 1885's I really want. A left-handed Ruger 77 African would have more appeal to me in a nice plains game caliber. Other people who think this is a good idea might insist on a dangerous game caliber. Let the arguing begin...

What would be nice is if companies like Lipsey's would let you put down a deposit on a particular unique gun & if enough people would join you, then they would do a run. There needs to be a mechanism where serious purchasers could push the production of a desired firearm through the manufacturing process by guaranteeing the sale of the series and not make it speculation on the manufacturer's part.