Originally Posted by MAC
Is this a project worth pursuing or am I asking for more trouble than it is worth?

This would be a labor of love and passion based project where the final outcome on a job well done is the prize, not the cost.

I have several 1909 Argentine actions sitting on a shelf that temp me constantly to do something with but I always end up going with a commercial Mauser action because it is much easier, cheaper, and in the long run and I know the case hardening in the receiver is right.

Here is what you need to consider:
1. Are you willing to invest in having the action re-heat treated to guarantee the case hardening?
2. Can you cut, bend, shape, and weld the bolt handle without impacting the heat treating in the bolt?
3. Can you drill & tap the receiver for scope bases properly?
4. The 30-06 cartridge has issues fitting in the stock 1909 magazine box with certain bullets, you would have to modify it or change it if you want to run max COL.
5. Do you have the tools to properly install the barrel?
6. Starting from a slab of wood to a finished stock is an achievement and source of well earned pride. But do you have the tools and skill set to do this? If so, it is a labor of love and a large time investment.

Gunsmiths are extremely expensive and if you have to pay to have some of the above work done, you have already exceeded your cost goals.

If you are looking at building the 1909 for a cheap alternative to a hunting rifle, this is not an optimum decision and you will most definitely lose money on this project should you decide to sell it.

If the 1909 action is important to you and you have an attachment to it and would love to use it as the basis of a 30 06 hunting rifle, no other rifle you can buy will give you the same outcome you will get from building it yourself. But, you will be spending more money and the final product will not be worth more than the investment.