Originally Posted by flintlocke
Bird, I take exception to only one word of your post, I would substitute your word "aggressive" and enter "effective'. I think the Brits were so disciplined that they would not adapt to a changing battlefield. Dogma, follow the plan at all costs, discipline, tradition above all else. The yanks would push, feint, feel out....find a weak spot and quickly take advantage. Classic Patton? But, I have been called many things, never a strategist.

I shall have to read Atkinson’s “The Guns at Last Light” again, the last part of his outstanding WWII trilogy. It might have been there I read of American incredulity when British troops in Normandy insisted on 4pm tea breaks.

That rang a bell with me, who grew up in 1960’s Working Class England. The often petty demands of the omnipresent trade unions absolutely crippled British industry, contributing in a major way to its decline. Sounded like a similar mindset at play in Normandy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744