Originally Posted by GRG
Thank you all for contributing.
I'm thinking wheel weight lead, its what we use already and have a bunch of it. I want to stay in the 50-60gr weight range so I can stretch out to that 150yd distance and stay in squirrel head accuracy.
I have had multiple Martini's, Stevens Favorites and 44 1/2's etc. They wouldn't be a bad option, especially a Martini..
I could also go with a Hornet or something like that as suggested to save work and stay with a small case.
I would rather figure out what works best then build the rifle but my 222's are both 1/14" twist I believe. 788 and 722.
I'm wondering about a hollow point in the 50 gr range to allow for a longer bullet?

Is there a system to the Lyman mold model numbers?

Thanks again

If you figure out Lyman's numbering system, you let me know!

You'll do what's best for yourself, I'm sure. I think you're on the right track too. I don't see any major issues with any of the ideas you and the rest of us jaybirds have put forth.

There's a kind of odd little bullet that's one of my favorite .22's. It's made (or was made, not sure if it still is) by Lee, and is called the Bator. It's the only Lee mold I have and I love it. Mine drops a 53 grain bullet (of WW+tin alloy) and with GC installed tips the scale at 54+ grains. It's a very stubby RN bullet with a length about equal to the Lyman 225438 45 grain, and performs very nicely in everything I've tried it in - but sensationally in a couple .22 Hornets - M54 Winchester, Stevens 44 .22WCF (shot as-cast) and a German kiplauf 5.6x35R (also shot as-cast) from barely sonic to the 2000fps neighborhood. The molds used to be sold as a Mid South Special, don't know if it still exists, but if not it's well worth searching for on the used market.

If you plan on head shooting squirrels at 150 yards with slow-ish .22 cast bullets I would invest as much time in memorizing scope elevation changes and wind doping as well as load development! If such a shot were presented to me I would probably be happy to slop one into his chest cavity rather than the brain pan! A long heavy bullet will definitely help, but is certainly not a panacea.

Starting from scratch for a dedicated .22 cast bullet shooter I would think hard about a Hornet built on a Martini Cadet action. That's a marriage made in heaven, IMO. My current project took a different direction though: I'm building a .22 Hornet on a very late 1903 Springfield action, match grade barrel countered to NRA Sporter dimensions, repro M1903 NRA Sporter stock, Fecker scope - all done up to mimic the "econo sporter" service that Griffin&Howe offered to owners of NRA Sporters during the Depression. Yeah, I'm a Hornet slut. I can't think of a time during the last 45 years when I didn't have a Hornet of some sort kicking around.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty