Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Practice your reloading and ensure your rifle feeds flawlessly. You might need more than one shot.

And if you're shooting with a scope, use the lowest magnification or use QD mounts and shoot irons. Again, you might need more than one shot.

You can load up some dummy rounds for practice to save on ammo. You can practice in the backyard without the neighbors calling the police.
You can never practice too much, for any hunt.

If you reload, it's a good idea to run all of your reloads through your rifle while your still at home. You don't want a stuck case in the bush.

Take a stout cleaning rod in your hard rifle case. In over 50 years of reloading and shooting thousands of shells, I've had only one cartridge where the primer went off, did not ignite the powder, but pushed the bullet into the barrel. This happened in South Afrida on a shot at a Caracal. No one in camp had a cleaning rod, but I did find a long steel welding rod in their vehicle garage that I wrapped with tape and got the bullet out.

Good advise to hunt with your variable scope set on low magnification. I once had a shot at a Sable bull in Mozambique that was standing in some high grass. I had my scope set too high and all that I could see through it was the grass.

I like the looks of a clean barrel, and none of my scoped hunting rifles also have iron sights.

I have not hunted in Zambia and I am jelous of your hunt. Have a good one!

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member