Originally Posted by hatari
Travis

Just picked up Johnny at SCI. He said you had a great hunt.

We really did. If it weren’t for Johnny I’m not sure we would have got my Waterbuck. We had seen him a couple times over a few days, but he wouldn’t give us a shot. When I finally had a shot, it was at 220 yards across a valley. I had a great rest on Johhnys backpack but couldn’t settle my nerves. I took a couple deep breaths, and finally got my cross hairs settled down, only to have him take a step as I was squeezing the trigger. He ran off like he hadn’t even been hit, but Shawn thought he heard impact. I honestly had no idea if I hit him or not. We looked for about an hour, saw the two cows and 1 young bull he was with, but not the old bull. We went back to Johnny who stayed at the truck, and told him we couldn’t find him. Johnny asked a few questions and then said, let’s look again. We drove his Toyota to where we thought I shot him and started looking again. This time, the trackers found 1 tiny speck of blood, then another, and Johnny put me out front in case I needed a follow up shot. We headed down a steep hill only to find him hung up in the trees about 50 yards from where I shot him. Shot was almost exactly 1 waterbuck step back from my aim point, but he was double lunged non the less.