I had a bachelors degree in education, taught school for a couple of years, didn't like it, and took a job as a ditch digger on a private golf course. Worked there, digging ditches, for seven years when one of the members (not a lawyer) remarked, "You're pretty smart. You should go to law school." I had no particular desire to matriculate in law school but also realized that, physically, I wasn't gonna be able to continue digging ditches the rest of my life. To my knowledge, there were never any lawyers in my family, so I didn't have any role models in that regard. Neither of my parents graduated from high school; my mother only went as far as the eight grade and my father dropped out to join the army during WW II.

To make a long story short, I took the LSAT, applied to law school, was accepted, graduated, passed the bar, and practiced law for the next 30 years. I retired in 1987. I was 30 when I enrolled in law school.

To answer your question directly, I enrolled in law school more-or-less on a lark. I never aspired to be a lawyer and wouldn't have been crushed if I'd blown the LSAT or hadn't been accepted to law school. Basically, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.