I bought a Ruger American Preditor in May of 2022. Over a six month span, it went back to the factory twice. When I sent it back the second time - I told them to keep it!

The first time I sent it back was because of excessive headspace. They replaced the barrel and the bolt.

I got the riflle back - mounted the scope - and headed to the range.

Over the course of 3 range sessions, the rifle shot well. That is...untill I pulled the trigger....and the firing pin assembly unlocked from the bolt...and fell back into my hand.

I called Ruger and explained in detail what happened. I told them that a firing pin asembly should NEVER just unlock from a bolt. I told them that I did not trust the rifle and I wanted a replacement or my money back. They sent me a shipping label - and I sent it back a second time.

Two weeks after they received it, I got a call telling me that the rifle had been repaired. "Repaired" I asked??

The rep told me that they replaced the firing pin assembly and the bolt handle due to "premature wear." Premature wear, I asked? After just 27 rounds??

I won't go into the full conversation - it was heated.

At any rate, I received the rifle back from the factory in early December...and I have not even bothered to open the box.

Prior to purchacing the Ruger, everything I had read was positive. That's why I bought it. In fact, at the gun store, on the same rack, was a Tikka in the same caliber. The Ruger was $400 cheaper...so I bought it.

This is a test sample of one...but for me...I will not own another Ruger American. That $400 dollars I saved...might have well been thrown in the trash.

Get the Tikka!!

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 02/05/23.