Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I bought a Ruger American Preditor in May of 2022. Over a six month span, it went back to the factory twice. When I sent it back the second time - I told them to keep it!

The first time I sent it back was because of excessive headspace. They replaced the barrel and the bolt.

I got the riflle back - mounted the scope - and headed to the range.

Over the course of 3 range sessions, the rifle shot well. That is...untill I pulled the trigger....and the firing pin assembly unlocked from the bolt...and fell back into my hand.

I called Ruger and explained in detail what happened. I told them that a firing pin asembly should NEVER just unlock from a bolt. I told them that I did not trust the rifle and I wanted a replacement or my money back. They sent me a shipping label - and I sent it back a second time.

Two weeks after they received it, I got a call telling me that the rifle had been repaired. "Repaired" I asked??

The rep told me that they replaced the firing pin assembly and the bolt handle due to "premature wear." Premature wear, I asked? After just 27 rounds??

I won't go into the full conversation - it was heated.

At any rate, I received the rifle back from the factory in early December...and I have not even bothered to open the box.

Prior to purchacing the Ruger, everything I had read was positive. That's why I bought it. In fact, at the gun store, on the same rack, was a Tikka in the same caliber. The Ruger was $400 cheaper...so I bought it.

This is a test sample of one...but for me...I will not own another Ruger American. That $400 dollars I saved...might have well been thrown in the trash.

Get the Tikka!!

That's awful. I'd be just as put off as you under the same circumstances. My RAR has run fine and I've never had feeding/mag issues.

As to this thread, I really don't put these rifles in the same category. I think the Tikka is an exceptionally well made rifle, built to preform and last. I view the RAR as a "disposable" rifle. Sort of like comparing a Lincoln Town car to a Nissan Versa.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN