Originally Posted by TBS
With the powder scarcity and off course prices, the loads i used to use years ago are just a myth today. I'm sitting on 12 lbs. of H380 and did a little research. My old Hodgdon manual has it listed with 70 grain bullets. They show 27 grains at 42,000 cup. I just check a fired case and get 28 grains in to the base of the neck, and 31.5 grains to the top of the neck.
I would like try this powder with 69 grain Sierras.

I still have some IMR 4895 which of course would be the logical choice.

Have any of you even tried H380 powder in the .223?

sure have... just don't go out and use it on a hot summer day, as it will raise pressures...

but for Fall, Spring and Winter, no problem...

I've always ran 29 grains of H 380, and only use a small rifle primer.. that is more user friendly than a mag primer, when the temp starts heating up into the 90s...otherwise never an issue... and in the non summer heat months...pressure is WAAAY below SAAMI specs for the 223 case...

and I've always found it very accurate.. yet it will penetrate thru a deer quite well...

If you want to use it for hunting, I'd pick the tipped Sierra 69 grainer, vs the 69 grain MK...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez