Originally Posted by Heeler
Any mauser and it's variants need the barrel shank bedded for an inch or two in front of the recoil lug. Since the front action screw goes into the recoil lug, there is a tendency for that to become a fulcrum of sorts when you tighten the screw down and also compresses the wood (unless you sleeve the hole).

My guess is the bedding is an attempt to free float the barrel. Over time I bet the thickness of the stock at the recoil lug 'compressed' and allowed the barrel to set lower into channel. Or there was some wood removed from the action area and made the barrel set too low.

Several past threads on bedding mausers and I think MD did a magazine article about it.

Glass bedding the recoil lug is generally all that is needed on these. A lot of guys I know will freefloat the whole barrel. Post up some pics on how your mausers shoot. Thanks. The real proof is always on target. The only time it may be necessary is when the barrel is excessively heavy. Also, every rifle is it's own entity. One may like what you are suggesting and others may prefer what I'm saying. The OP has never done a bedding job, he may want to see if his smith is willing to bed it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA