Originally Posted by Jevyod
Was at a sale today, and a 338-06 came up for sale. It was labeled as a Mauser 98, no name on the barrel. Following are a few photos of what I got...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
So a few questions, What exactly did I get? I assume I should have no qualms about shooting it chambered in 338-06? Also it appears like someone tried bedding and free floating the barrel. I hope that means it will shoot! I paid 475 for it with the older VX II Leupold scope on it. I figure I basically paid 200 for the scope and got the gun for 275 which to me seems like a pretty good deal.
As an aside they also had an Enfield there that was chambered in 340 weatherby Mag. Someone had painted the stock an ugly black and threaded the barrel. That also had a scope (I believe Leupold) and it only brought 350 bucks! Also an old 6.5x58 rifle that sold for 300 or so. The guys there wanted modern stuff, so I was glad for that! Thanks for the help!

Nice rifle. Looks like you did great. cra1948 added a lot of great advice. I'd definitely do as he said. That bedding looks scary to me though. Not how I would have done it, but to each their own. If it checks out good, shoot it and let us know how it does. I look for those kinds of deals. I recently saw some very nice mauser 98's myself. Some chambered in African big game cartridges like the 458 win mag. Rifles look very nice, but in plastic/tuppwerware stocks. Prices on those range from $349-$400.00. Some have new barrels and are nicely blued. When I go back on the 13th, I may buy one. Maybe one in 7x57 or 8x57. One in 338-06 would be cool though. Nice find..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA