Was at a sale today, and a 338-06 came up for sale. It was labeled as a Mauser 98, no name on the barrel. Following are a few photos of what I got...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
So a few questions, What exactly did I get? I assume I should have no qualms about shooting it chambered in 338-06? Also it appears like someone tried bedding and free floating the barrel. I hope that means it will shoot! I paid 475 for it with the older VX II Leupold scope on it. I figure I basically paid 200 for the scope and got the gun for 275 which to me seems like a pretty good deal.
As an aside they also had an Enfield there that was chambered in 340 weatherby Mag. Someone had painted the stock an ugly black and threaded the barrel. That also had a scope (I believe Leupold) and it only brought 350 bucks! Also an old 6.5x58 rifle that sold for 300 or so. The guys there wanted modern stuff, so I was glad for that! Thanks for the help!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.