Originally Posted by okie
Had one come through the shop like this and it shot very poorly bore was a nightmare. It was about the same age as yours a takedown model in 250-3000. Shilen makes a contour that is extremely close and changed the twist to 1-9 to solve that problem. Its now a shooter. Shoot it first.

With the advent and proliferation of the cheap bore scopes I think we as firearms consumers are going to demand more corrosion resistant rifle barrels. (if we haven't already). I understand that SAE 4140 is considered the "standard". I had a 1903A3 barrel replaced on a Springfield action last year. The barrel was stamped as a 42 (1942). It was an absolute sewer pipe and the gun's accuracy was not very good. Since it was a military barrel I assumed it was the best steel available at the time. I bought a CMP Criterion barrel and it shows it is also 4140 chrome moly. It appears to me the barrel I bought is the same steel of the one I had to get taken off because it had corroded over the years. That's not a comforting thought. At least to me, anyway.

I know that care and cleaning goes a long ways and mine appeared to have been fired and then left in a closet for 40 or 50 years to allow humidity and oxygen to do their dirty work. Anyway, the point is, would you pay a little extra for a more corrosion resistant steel ? Something above and beyond 4140.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.