Originally Posted by Bode
Thabk you to everyone for all the info. I have picked up some dies and bullets off the classifieds...still perusing presses.
I like the forster for easy die change merely bc of loading different cartridge sizes with smaller sample size for the boys and my rifles. Seems like would be a significant time reducer...

Hello Bode, the forster co-ax is an awesome press. If you get one I would highly recommend ordering the kit from midway that converts it to regular shell holders instead of the universal set up that it comes with. Two problems you can encounter with the universal shell holder system is if you ever get a stuck case in a die it won't pull it out and the regular shell holder set up will! The other problem is there universal set up will not allow you to bump the shoulder enouph with some diea that are not forster dies.

I know you will do your research however to save you some time I'd like to point out what I comsider to be two of the most important aspects to safely loading ammo. First is to only bump the shoulder just enouph to make it fit your chamber and no more. If you bump the shoulder way back you can introduce excess headspace and cause what is called case head separation and that's dangerous. If you research "Partial Full Length Sizing" it will explain it.

Case neck trimming is also important. Every firing the case neck gravitated forward in the throat of the chamber. If you allow it to gravitate it can eventually hit the end of the throat and this will clamp the brass tightly against the bullet not allowing it to release the bullet. When an explosion happens and the bullet doesn't release guess what happens?

So two things

Partial size to eliminate case head separation
Trim the necks so you don't create a bomb

All the other wonderful gentlemen already offered you top notch advice so I don't need to add anything else.

There are a lot of experienced reloaders here many of whom already offered advice. Good luck to you and come back and ask questions anytime when you get started into this endeavour

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/11/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field