Jacket Making

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Commercial jackets come ready to use. They’re shipped in plastic bags, buckets, or in heavy cardboard boxes. 22 rimfire cases that will be made into bullet jackets have to be cleaned, lubricated and their rims unfolded. You can always spot jackets made from rimfire cases. They have the ammunition maker’s stamp on the bottom.

I get jackets from one of the clubs of which I am a member. I buy these buckets and the money goes to our junior shooters.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Unfolding the rim is accomplished using a jacket making die. The case is pushed through the die from the bottom using a punch. When it comes out the top, the rim is unfolded and you have a case! Above is a picture of a jacket making die mounted on an Rock Chucker press.

I have a pneumatic version that is a lot easier on my arm. Whether they are formed with a manual or pneumatic press, all the cases emerge as nice jackets that look like little brass drinking tumblers.

One thing I should mention. Before you actually make the jackets, they have to be cleaned. The crud that is leftover after the primer composition burns has to be removed. It is abrasive and hard on the punch.

It also helps to sort the case by headstamp. Below is my sorting set up. I toss them into dollar store plastic containers. When the container is full, I toss them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I use the ultrasonic cleaner a second time, after the jacket is formed. Sorting by headstamp, and two ultrasonic baths, tightens up the groups.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada