Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had several military .30-40 Krags, in various degrees of condition from all-original to "sporterized," but have also owned several other rifles chambered in .30-40. Right now I have this Ruger Red Label, an early generation 20-gauge with an extra set of rifle barrels in .30-40. Got it from a friend some years ago, who bought it at a gun show. There are no markings of who made the rifle barrels, and the guy my friend bought it from had no idea either. But it will put a shot from each barrel into two inches or a little less at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

But my favorite .30-40 hunting rifle was probably this Shiloh Sharps reproduction of the 1885 Winchester "High Wall" single-shot. This mule deer doe looks a little disheveled because after the shot, she took off running, and in a few yards hit a big cottonwood tree head-on, obviously dead on her feet.

[Linked Image]

I think that I know who made your 30-40 Krag Red Label barrels. PM sent.

I remember seeing an article years ago about double rifles being built on 20 gauge Red Labels and for a number of years I am almost certain I recall that it was Butch Searcy doing it. I have since read a couple of times online that he built rifles on Red Labels and also on Browning BSS shotguns. Other than saying that it must be true because I saw it on the internet, I can't confirm it one way or the other.

I do recall from the article, that it mentioned that the original Red Label barrels were cut off the monoblock which was then refitted with rifle barrels. I thought at the time that it was a short-sighted way to do it, that it would have made more sense just to machine a new monoblock and preserve the 20 gauge barrels as well. Was that what was done with the one you've got John, or does it seem an original Red Label monoblock was sacrificed?

Mathew 22: 37-39