I hunt with an Encore 15" .308 pistol w/Sig Romeo5 red dot and Encore 7mm-08 rifle w/Docter scope (and a Contender w/14" 30-30). The .308 is very snappy with factory loads, but doable for around 6 shots before it starts letting you know about it, and the Romeo5 handles the recoil with ease. I know, put a brake on it, but that'll take the fun out of it.
I hunt exclusively with the Encore .308 pistol in the swamps. It's way easier to get thru the thickets with the pistol rather than the rifle. I can ethically hit at 100yds easy with it, but in the swamps I hunt in, the average shot occurs in only 15 to 40 yds. I shoot .308 150g Core Lokt and 7mm08 139g SST's.
There's just Something about waiting for that perfect shot knowing you have only 1-shot.
My shooters are wrapped in camo gun wrap. None look purdy, but the ugliest is my .308 Encore pistol by far, all black except the camo wrap. Besides, looks don't kill. Well unless you're Peter Plug (Jerry Clower's Dove Huntin') you can ugly grin them, lol.
I've had zero deer to go beyond 5 yds after being hit, where the majority drop DRT when hit. I'm not bragging on my shooting skills, but rather attesting that practice makes you a better shot, especially when it comes to shot placement, ethically and quickly dispatching of an animal with only 1 shot.

Last edited by papawolf; 03/03/23. Reason: correction