Originally Posted by ApolloF7
Well I’m looking for advice on what groups to look for so I am asking people who know their stuff. This was the only group kinda close so…

For a starter rifle - it’s not “bad”. You haven’t laid out which competition you’re going after - 3-Gun, PRS, bench, or such, need to know a little about what you are pursuing to give meaningful advice.

Things that generally get replaced on the RAR:

The stock - you’ve done that already, and the Magpul isn’t a horrible choice, it’s way better than the factory stock, and you’ve picked up box magazine feeding if you didn’t already have it.

Rear bolt shroud - it’s plastic, and can pop off over time. The aluminum replacement is relatively inexpensive.

Scope bases: factory are ok, but most end up going to a single rail sooner or later.

Your groups are good for the investment. But - I’d shoot a few 5 - 10 shot strings to see where you really are. You don’t need to cook the barrel, take your time and let it cool over the longer strings. But, you’ll also see what the rifle does as it heats up - another factor in competition accuracy.

Match rifles tend to be heavier barreled to handle the extra heat, lighter barreled rifles tend to open up their groups as the heat increases.

The Magpul stock has a relatively flexible forearm, you can bend it enough to touch the barrel if you really bear down on it locking in a shooting weld with a bipod. The stock touch can “throw” a shot where you weren’t expecting.

IMHO - you need to go shoot whatever match it is that you’re looking at. Bring what you have, and do your best. I’ve shown up to many shoot way under equipped, had competitors show me what worked, and built up over time. If it’s a good match, people will want to help you get your gear right.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/11/23.