Originally Posted by Bug
Check out Kiowa Outfitters in Raton, NM. It’s the dang fest road hunt you’ll ever see legal. To be legal, you have to have one foot on the ground when shooting from a vehicle. Mostly you just step out and use the truck as a rest. Guide pics you up at your motel, takes you to Ted Turner’s ranch, and you ride oil well roads til you spot elk. Shots are usually 50-100 yards. Guide guts your elk, takes samples for the biologists ( no heart 😐) then takes them to the processor. You specify how you want them processed- ie. steaks, roasts, & HB, and if you want the hide. Give them a full day to process -drop off We’d pick up on Fri- cut wrapped & frozen, ready for transport.
On the off day, a nice trip is up to Eagles Nest for some snow time and sightseeing/ice fishing?? 4wd recommended for this trip.
These are in Jan-Feb if I remember correctly. It will run about $2500 per person including tags, motel room, processing, tips etc. additional expenses are licenses (buy online after you book your hunt). And fuel for the trip. Not a cost to be overlooked.
For a first or meat hunt, this is a very enjoyable way to go. No, it’s not guaranteed, but might as well be. IIRC, the hunt is for 3 or 4 days, but don’t expect to “hunt” more than 2. They’re not for everybody, but are an enjoyable way to “go get” 200# of very tasty meat. Bug.

You may want to check with Kiowa Outfitters. Last I year I call about the cow elk hunts on the Vermejo and they are not doing them. I have heard from different people the cow elk were over harvested on the ranch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10