A few months ago I picked up a Springfield MA police trade in M&P40.
Circumstances kept me from shooting it till just lately. What a great shooting pistol! My handgun shooting skills have gotten really rusty since shooting has been infrequent at best in the last couple of years.
This M&P40 makes me look good. Well, not sucky anyway.
Excellent ergos, a well broken in pistol with a half decent trigger and a bunch of good ammo makes for a new favorite woods bumming, tractor, 4 wheeler, truck gun.
When I was loading up a bunch of ammo for it, I found a baggie of 184gr wiiide nose flat point gas checked bullets. The meplat on them is .35”. A comparable WFN is .31” across the flat. I have no idea where or who I got them from, but they came in a baggie with Rooster Red lube label on it. Anyway, they looked too wide, too abrupt and sharp edged to feed.
Boy was I wrong. That M&P gobbled them up and spit them out like hardball. Impact on acorn squash was more impressive than Nosler 165gr hollow points and dramatically better than fmjfp’s. They’re unlikely to fly well at longer ranges than 40 yards, the farthest I shot them, as WFN’s don’t shoot well at long range and these are significantly broader across.
Yeah I know, WFN’s can shoot well when pushed as hard as possible, but they have never been as good as LFN’s or good semi wadcutters for me.
I originally bought this because I have a few thousand 135 & 150gr Nosler hollow point and more than that in cast bullets. My 10mm doesn’t shoot the lighter weight bullets ie. the 135 &150’s as it does the 180 & 200gr so I wanted to use the heavier weights in the 10mm and looked for something to use those lightweights in. Mission accomplished.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!