Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I carried an M&P .40 in uniform for a few years. I put a Hogue Handall on the grip. It feels better in my hand than any pistol I’ve owned. Per our contract I was able to purchase it for $1 when I retired. It now resides in the safe with my Ruger Police Service Six and S&W 4506 that I was issued during my career.

Ron
What was your long term opinion on the M&P40?
Would you choose it if given the option to carry what you wanted?

M Stevenson, to be honest with you I would still carry a Glock of some sort. One of our Ordnance guys was kind of helping S&W with prototypes and testing of the original M&P. We were issued the first generation M&P .40 about 2007ish. In 2014-15 S&W traded our department 1 for 1 for the second Generation M&P .40. I liked the pistol except for a couple of things. Sometimes the slide wouldn’t lock open when empty. And sometimes the slide would slam shut by itself when a full magazine was inserted. I just didn’t totally trust the M&P with my life. My old department (I retired in 2018) transitioned to the M&P 2.0 9mm shortly after I retired. Officers seem to like it. I purchased all of my duty handguns for my Grandkids to have when they grow up. A Ruger Police Service Six .38 Special, an S&W 4506 .45acp, and the M&P .40.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell