Originally Posted by damnesia
I shoot the 87 grains if I have a choice. But before I bought a ton of them, when they're weren't available ( like now ) I found the 75gr worked fine for just shooting.

I bought around 600-700 rds of the Hornady 75 grain VMax's back when they were less than $20 a hundred (think I paid around $16 on sale)-that was a while ago. Now they're pricey and hard to find at times. I've established pretty good accurate loads with them using Varget, 3031, and RL15 so I don't have to do much if any load development. Have a good supply yet of the 75 VMax's, but saving them for coyote loadings. Still bang a few off for checking sights.

Shoot them out of scoped 99G and EG (iron sights) 250's, plus my scoped Ruger M77 250. Like the Speer 87 HC's also for dropping a coyote ifin one allows me to get it into my sights. Bought a good supply of those also before prices went high. Can't hunt deer with bottleneck rounds in Iowa, but did drop a severally vehicle injured deer once at request of local DNR officer with a 87 HC. Did the job. Just getting into load development with 85-86 grain cast bullets out of a NOE mold. So far working fine for target loads-cheaper than the 75 and 87 grain jacketed bullets and can do alot more shooting.

Last edited by Savage94C; 03/29/23.