Originally Posted by Pappy348
On the days I carry my Hornet this turkey season, I’ll be using 46gr Speer FPs designed for the 218, loaded over 9gr of H110 and Fed GM100 primers. My notion is that the FP will deliver a good whack without burgerizing the bird. When I dialed in a newly-acquired Burris Mini 6x a few weeks ago with that load, the final 3-shot group I fired at 50 yards to confirm the sighting was one odd-shaped hole.

Mostly, I just want to tote the pretty little Browning around the Spring woods…..

IIRC, Seyfried said that Nosler SB was his favorite all-around Hornet slug. There’s some demand for those in Hornet circles I think. I have a broken box from around 2000.

If you haven't used them before, those 46 gr. Speer FPs are accurate and deadly. Pretty much any bullet is on little critters, even turkeys! smile I went full circle with my Hornet. In the dim times, I loaded 40 and 45 gr Speers. Tried getting fancy with other, more expensive bullets, but am back with the inexpensive and accurate Speers again. I am waiting on delivery of the Speer 40s and 46s as I type. I have less than 100 of the 40s and maybe a dozen 46s.

Funny thing is, these things work on grouse, rabbits, skunks and other things. I use a NEF "22 Hornet Magnum" now though because it's easier on the brass. smile I'm kind of shocked that it hasn't shaken the guts loose in this old Leupold. I guess I got lucky. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada