Good point. Still extremely interesting and as we all know George Madis was definitely considered one of the Later Authorities as he truly kicked off the Winchester Collectors with his "The Winchester Book' as truly a Bible to Collectors that is Based on the Authors first hand knowledge and surveying through years of Traveling and Buying up thousands of Winchesters through out the U. S. and even through Mexico. Through combined registered self Family Surveys and Gun Show knowledge George has helped us all out tremendously. Over the Years as more and more Facts come out based on Printed Factory Ledgers, Cody Wyoming research and The Winchester Arms Collectors Ass.,(WACA) Members search and Information. Some of the numbers, facts and information was a little of in all due respect to Mr. Madis. Who if you we're lucky enough to get through on his land line,(pre-cell phone), or he wasn't riding his John Deere Tractor, he could keep you on the phone for hours and you enjoyed it for all it was worth. I wish he we're still around to ask him these questions and try to further our knowledge combined with the other facts we have. Today's Surveys combined with past written knowledge and other existing Facts are a little easier today with the Computer and all it's resources combined. WACA Members doing Current Surveys use many Different areas to research but not limited to. Auctions, big or small, collectors, Documentations, with Winchester Model 1866 provenance or Affiliation, etc.....................The .44 Henry Flat Rim Fire Cartridge case and Overall Length was Shorter than the .44 Center Fire Cartridge, so the Chamber length Conversion had to be made besides the firing pin for the Flat Rim Fire Cartridge to the Center Fire Cartridge. Winchester Factory would always most definitely would record, Stamp or Markings. Due to Factory Fires at Winchester years ago there is some information that's not available. Even George in his Wonderful Biblical Winchester Book states a center fire Firing pin and Breach prepared for Center Fire Ammunition. He also states that he inspected a few of these Rare specimens from all over the U. S. and a few foreign Countries and Always dismantling them completely for his own Survey, knowledge and Love for the Winchester Rifle! It's very possible the Winchester Factory didn't change the 44 on the Model 1866 as they felt it was a 44 and the only difference was the Flat Rim Fire vs. the Center Fire in the Caliber. Back in those Days markings were differently viewed. However be it that it may the Cold Revolver which used the .44 C.F. Caliber would not chamber in a .44 Flat Rifle Due to Cartridge length. Gunfighters and the Likes would love to carry one Caliber and not have to worry about carrying two different kinds of Ammo and well you can see where some confusion exists. We'll stay tuned and see what gets uncovered if anything in the near Future.
HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!