I guess as this information grows it should have probably been continued under the Winchester Collector heading. I hope that I didn't hijack this thread as those we're not my intentions.
With that being said on the International Ammunition Association Forum, (IAA), Posted in 2018 by a Renowned Collector named Mike Carrick in doing some research a while back and Being in Brazil he uncovered Valuable information and Contacted Jessi Bennet from Cody Wyoming at the Winchester Museum revealing that indeed Brazil put in an order with Winchester but Wanted the order of Carbines filled in the .44 Smith and Wesson,(American), Cartridge used in the S&W Model 3 Revolver. Winchester did not want to put S&W on their Firearms in any way being extremely proud of their own works so Winchester developed a .44 Henry Center Fire Flat Caliber in 1891 to fill the Brazilian contract order of First 999 Carbines serial numbered after 167865 and manufactured in 1891 and an additional Carbine was added to fill out the original order of 1000 Winchester Carbines that we're sent to Brazil.

Once Again I find this information very interesting and I tip my Hat to GunGeek which prompted me to further research and get the truth as we know it Today.

With all that out of the Way the OP Deserves Credit for starting this Thread and a Final Resolution.

Originally Posted by 41rem
Back in the last of the 1800’s were these always chambered in the .44 Henry rimfire cartridge? Is that what most of the users of this rifle would have carried?

Yes! 41rem that's what Most of the users of this Rifle Carried.
Approximately 1000 Carbines used the .44 Henry Center Fire Flat mainly in Brazil!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!