Until this past season I had not hunted with a lever gun in over 25 years. Season before last, my brother had such a good time with his Marlin 30-30 that I decided to buy one.

That plan became three, when I came across good deals on a '86 CS 30-30, a '52 SC in 32 WS and a '52 SC 35 Rem. I was fortunate to be able to buy components or ammo at a good price for all three.

My brother challenged me to lever gun hunt only in Miss. this past season. I'm confident in all three and rotated them while hunting. As it worked out, I only got two deer and both were with the 30-30.

I didn't know this '63 35 Rem. model was called a Texan. I just knew it was a good gun for the price. More important to me is it was made in 1963 and so was my brother. He will turn 60 in August. As much as I liked this gun and would really like to keep it, it will be his birthday present. In my role as the family ammo maker, I'm going to load him two hundred rounds of ammo for it. I'll load him up Speer 180s or Hornady 200s, whichever is the most accurate.